It’s been a great couple of years for Captain Tinrib.
After the demise of his much-adored Tinrib Recordings imprint which released 60 classic vinyl cuts and 11 CDs, the Captain has not lied back and kept himself in obscurity; he’s appeared on some of the biggest hard dance labels with some awesome tracks, namely “Found What We’re Looking 4” and “Acid Gate Scandal” on Vicious Circle and “Attack Of The 50ft DJ” on Tidy. He returns once again to the fray with his first live CD in 4 years. Performed in front of 10,000 at San Francisco’s massive Popsicle Dance Festival, this CD truly represents a slice of vintage Tinrib as we know and love him.
The CD is unique for a number of reasons. Making the jump over to the much heralded Ableton Live, a piece of software championed by Sasha, Paul Van Dyk as well as many hard dance live acts including Greg Brookman and The Edison Factor, Tinrib has created a truly live experience in this show. Throughout the entirety of the performance, you hear cheeky samples and famous loops from Tinrib records amongst others (“Hey Mickey” even makes an appearance!) layered over the top of already acclaimed classics to create a unique live bootleg sound. One of the best live elements on this CD is though is the live percussion added by Chris Edwards. Using a full drum kit to great effect, live percussion is played over some of Tinribs biggest classics. A particular highlight is the huge drum solo featured over the top of “The Final Frontnose”. Whilst on paper this may sound like a nightmare, with live drums and tight hard dance rhythms not appearing to mesh very well, in practise the result is masterful and a truly unique touch which so far has not been explored by most live P.As. Also added is live crowd noise from the gig which furthers the live experience. You may love this or hate this, but personally speaking it certainly made me want to be there!
Both Tinrib fans old and new will find something on this CD. From Tinrib’s aforementioned modern stormers to classics such as “Get Down”, “2001” and “Blue Oyster” (all remixed live using Ableton’s features, no less) topped off with Weirdo’s all time classic “I Know A Plaice”, this CD represents and celebrates one of hard dance’s all time legends. If Live PAs are your thing, then buy this. If you’re a Tinrib-aholic, then buy this. Hell, even if you only have a minute interest in hard dance, then buy this! A must purchase for all hard dance fans.
Reviewed by Olly Perris
- Captain Tinrib – 2001 Intro
- Captain Tinrib – 2001 – The Final Frontnose
- The Alien Thing – Beaver Express (Captain Tinrib Live Remix)
- Captain Tinrib & Dynamic Intervention – Found What We’re Lookin 4
- Captain Tinrib & Max Alien Trax – Acid Gate Scandal
- Captain Tinrib & Dave Randall – The Jackpot
- Captain, The & Steve Thomas – Get Down (Live Mix)
- Captain Tinrib – Work It Out
- Captain Tinrib & Sol Ray – Attack Of The 50 Foot DJ
- Captain Tinrib & Alien Thing, The – Purple Overdose (Captain’s Live Rework)
- Captain Tinrib & RR Fierce – Street Tab (OD404 Remix)
- Captain Tinrib – NYD (No Vocal Remix)
- Captain Tinrib – Blue Oyster (Remix)
- Captain Tinrib – The Best Of Tinrib Finale
Total Frying Time On Full Version: 58:36m